Monday, August 24, 2009

Angel Food Cakes

Sister Kathie has shared a recipe for Angel Food cake that our Grandmother Jones used to make. Kathie said that once a month Grandma Jones would make 12 of these Angel Food cakes from scratch for her Ladies monthly meeting. TWELVE! Can you image? By hand-no electric appliances-a wood burning stove. I'm guessing a wood burning stove.

The recipe calls for twelve egg whites. That's 144 egg whites for 12 cakes. Can you imagine? Not to mention the powdered sugar and flour being sifted together three times each. Those ladies sure loved Grandma's Angel Food Cake. I wonder where she got the powdered sugar from?

I have made five of these yummy cakes. I had been fretting about what would I do with 12 yolks when the Holy Spirit told me buy the egg whites in a carton. Problem solved. I wonder what Grandma Jones would think of this new fangled invention called egg whites in a carton.


2 comments:

Lorren Says... said...

Put up the recipe, please!! It was super yummy!

Ynette said...

Grandma Jones also made Angle food cake for all our birthdays. She would place the birthday cake on that pink and white plate that you used for Mona cake. A bit of trivia.

About Us

My photo
We believe in longvity... 37 years married,laughing,music traveling,and enjoying our kids and their kids and our two dogs- Howie and Sammie.