Thursday, August 27, 2009

So You Want To Be A Star?

A long time ago when I was six years old my cousin Jayme and I were on the Red Brown and AnnaLee show which was broadcast live in El Paso. Red Brown was a cowboy and AnnaLee was his wife. She wore a cowgirl's outfit with a big skirt with fringe and boots. The set was the backside of a covered wagon. The center of the canvas was open and each child would step up and through the opening and down onto the stage. There was a live audience full of kids and their parents. There was bright lights and cameras and alot of people.

I remember Mom and Grandma Jones helping us practice a song just in case Red Brown asked if we wanted to perform something. We practiced "Jesus loves me".

So now my cousin Jaymie and I are standing in line behind the covered wagon waiting our turn for stardom. Red Brown would ask each child their name and how old they were. I was so nervous I kept asking Jaymie "How old am I?". She would say "Six, you are six years old."

The rest is a blur-I don't remember if we sang or not.

I loved Red Brown and AnnaLee. I wish I could find a picture of them.

5 comments:

Mona Marie said...

I do that sometimes too, mom. But it's with spaghetti. I can never remember which goes on first, the noodles or the sauce.

Lorren Says... said...

Cute story. "How old am I?" Ha ha!

Moving Forward said...

Up to last year I still had the same problem. Whenever your dad would say how old he was, I would say "What? Well how old am I?" This year is different. I know for sure how old I will be...

Ynette said...

WOW, ALL THESE YEARS AND I HAD NO IDEA MY BIG SISTER AND COUSIN WAS A TV STAR. I DON'T REMEMBER RED BROWN AND ANNA LEE. MUST HAVE BEEN BEFORE MY TIME.

Moving Forward said...

I think that Kathie and I were the only ones at that time. That was in 1951.

About Us

My photo
We believe in longvity... 37 years married,laughing,music traveling,and enjoying our kids and their kids and our two dogs- Howie and Sammie.