Christmases are different for me and my hubby now. We almost have a empty nest. Almost because our son is at home while he is in college. We have spent Christmas is many different places, here in the U.S. and overseas. In the past I would make gingerbread houses, bake cookies, make a yule log cake, fuss over all sorts of gifts. Ron would set up the video camera and tape the kids putting up and decorating the Christmas tree. One year th
ey put the limbs in wrong and the tree was upside down. Another year Ron bought what I called a "Charlie Brown" tree. That tree had no top just a skinny little stem- it was well...ugly, but it was our tree. Ron says he got the tree for half price.
Last year instead of putting up our big 8 foot Christmas tree w/ decorations we put a small table top tree. The tree is really cute and lovely to look at but just isn't the same. My husband and son seem ok with just having a downsized Christmas but for me something just wasn't right. I guess my heart hadn't been downsized. This year I thought I would be ok with just putting the table top tree but again something just isn't right. My oldest daughter asked if she could use the big tree and we took it to her house. But then found out that some small piece that held the top of the tree was missing, so the tree came back home. I bugged my hubby to figure out some way to fix it and we put the tree up. I love it.
While he was at work I put the tree together, put up the lights and then the decorations. It was like a walk down memory lane. Each decoration has significance. The "Legg" Egg Mona decorated in preschool. Branden's little ornament he bought at a Kris Kindle market while on a school outing when he was three. The Biker Santa Lorren gave her dad. Each and very ornament is special. Oh and I can't forget the two string of musical lights with little red bell covers that play random Christmas songs. I love this tree. Not the way I love Jesus or my family but this tree has special meaning to me.
I'm not sure what the moral of this story is except that there is no place like home. When Ron and I got married he was in the Army and so that meant that we moved alot. At first it was so hard and I was so homesick. When we were overseas the Americans would always say "when we get back home". But eventually I realized that home is where me and my family live.
ey put the limbs in wrong and the tree was upside down. Another year Ron bought what I called a "Charlie Brown" tree. That tree had no top just a skinny little stem- it was well...ugly, but it was our tree. Ron says he got the tree for half price.Last year instead of putting up our big 8 foot Christmas tree w/ decorations we put a small table top tree. The tree is really cute and lovely to look at but just isn't the same. My husband and son seem ok with just having a downsized Christmas but for me something just wasn't right. I guess my heart hadn't been downsized. This year I thought I would be ok with just putting the table top tree but again something just isn't right. My oldest daughter asked if she could use the big tree and we took it to her house. But then found out that some small piece that held the top of the tree was missing, so the tree came back home. I bugged my hubby to figure out some way to fix it and we put the tree up. I love it.
While he was at work I put the tree together, put up the lights and then the decorations. It was like a walk down memory lane. Each decoration has significance. The "Legg" Egg Mona decorated in preschool. Branden's little ornament he bought at a Kris Kindle market while on a school outing when he was three. The Biker Santa Lorren gave her dad. Each and very ornament is special. Oh and I can't forget the two string of musical lights with little red bell covers that play random Christmas songs. I love this tree. Not the way I love Jesus or my family but this tree has special meaning to me.
I'm not sure what the moral of this story is except that there is no place like home. When Ron and I got married he was in the Army and so that meant that we moved alot. At first it was so hard and I was so homesick. When we were overseas the Americans would always say "when we get back home". But eventually I realized that home is where me and my family live.

2 comments:
I bought Dad a biker Santa?? Aw, I loved this post. We have a lot of great Christmas memories. When Aaron and I got married I wanted a Christmas tree just like the one we had growing up (right side up, of course). Thanks for all the memories.
PS. I don't recall ever eating a yule log cake. ;)
Maybe it was Mona who gave it to him. You will see when you get here.
Post a Comment