The Department of Defense school system-DODS- was a new expericance for us. This was during the second tour. I think what made our time so special was the sense of community. Everyone was pretty much in the same boat.
In music class Lorren and Mona had a German speaking teacher who taught the classes songs in German. I don't think the girls remember any of the songs but it was wonderful to listen to them sing.
Ben was in Pre-K and in his class they had a really cute custom. Each child had a pair of house shoes they kept in the classroom and when they came in from the cold they would take off their outside shoes and put on their house shoes to wear in class.
Tobie had to ride the bus to another air base to go to school. I think that was hard for her. And now that I think about it, I don't think we ever visited her school.
The one and only we have been sledding was at Spangdahlem Air Base. There was a snow covered hill and the Air Force set up lights so that the families could sled at night. It was cold and wonderful.
We did some Volksmarching also. Not during the winter but in the spring and summer. There was Volksmarching groups and for a fee you could go on walks- 5K-10K-20K through the orests. Afterwards we would recieve a plaque. One time we decided to take the 20K hike and walked a long long ways. We sure learned our lesson.
Sunday, December 14, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
About Us
- Moving Forward
- We believe in longvity... 37 years married,laughing,music traveling,and enjoying our kids and their kids and our two dogs- Howie and Sammie.
1 comment:
Mom...those are some great memories. It would be fun to take a trip back to Germany....
Post a Comment